7.13.2008

That guy

I was up in the city (NYC) on Wednesday and we had left Katz's Deli and we were racing back to catch the subway. And there was a guy that was on our left and he had a cup in his hand and he called out to us. "You guys have any spare change?" I shook my head and said "sorry." And we raced on.

But that guy is still in my head. I had a pocketful of change in my pocket. And I couldn't stop for 15 seconds.

I haven't always been keen on giving money to people I see on the street. But that's changed. I've become much more aware of poverty and it's prevalence in the world. I'm not going to get into what has caused said poverty, because at the moment, it's not relevant. What is relevant, is our recognition that there are people less well off than us. You may consider them "the least of these."

I'm tempted to look for that guy the next time I'm up in the city. In the meantime, I'll be keeping my eyes open and I would encourage you to do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home