1.11.2009

Reading the Word

So Pastor Phil has challenged our congregation to read the Bible everyday for thirty days. Which is a good thing. But also a bad thing, because it means that people aren't spending time in the Word. But that's a topic for another day.

During Christmas and Easter, I like to re-read the accounts of Christ's birth as well as his resurrection, as well as the surrounding events. This year, I've been reading through Luke and I've been paying attention to the periphery in the stories.

Like in chapter four where Jesus healed Simon's mother-in-law. And after Jesus healed her, "she got up and began to wait on them." I've been thinking about the mother-in-law. What was her frame of mind? What made her get up and immediately begin her hosting duties?

And I've been thinking about the crowds that observed Jesus and his miracles. What must have been going through their minds when they saw cripples healed and dead men raised from the dead? I can only imagine.

Paying attention to these details has given me a new way to look at the events in scripture.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home