5.22.2004

livin la vida loca

So some friends and I got together last night for an evening of Shrek. We watched the first movie and then zipped over to the theater and caught the last showing of the night of Shrek 2. And here's my review:

Shrek 2 - I liked it. Didn't love it, but I liked it. I should even consider it better than the first one. I've been discussing with friends what I feel makes the Shrek movies popular. And I've decided that it's their use of pop culture references. Sure, they continue to pick on Disney by referencing movies like The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast (just to name two). But they also riff off of other movies like The Fabulous Baker Boys, Wizard of Oz, and Spiderman. They also spoofed retailers like Starbucks (Farbucks), and Barneys of New York (Barneys of Old York). And I think people love the humor that all those references bring. Would the movie still be as funny without the references? I would think not, but I don't know for sure. But you can't help but admire the way that the references are used in the movie. I may even need to see the movie again just to pick up on all the references that were made. I also really enjoyed the music. Here is a clip from the Fairy Godmother Song. A friend said that they made very good use of popular music, and I would have to agree. Definitely entertaining. I give it an "8" on my 10-point scale.

I would also like to give a big shoutout to all those people who work with children on a regular basis. It takes a very special person to work with children. Thank you.

2 Comments:

On 24.5.04, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

you seem to have forgotten the movies that were possibly picked on the most: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

 
On 24.5.04, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

Well, I did not feel like listing every reference at the time. But for you mr. anonymous, here is the definitive list: From Here to Eternity, The Wizard of Oz, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron,Peter Pan, Annie, Sleepy Hollow, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Meet the Parents, The Mask of Zorro, The Matrix, Frankenstein, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Blazing Saddles, Ghostbusters, Sanford and Son, Cops, Rawhide, The Graduate, Pretty Woman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Spider-Man, Flashdance, Charlie's Angels, The Lord of the Rings and Mission: Impossible.

Stephen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home