10.31.2006

Book musings

I've started to read God is Closer Than You Think by John Ortberg. Ortberg is one of my favorite pastor/authors and I always enjoy reading his stuff and hearing him speak.

This book is about finding/hearing/seeing God. One of the ideas he presents is that of Divine Appointments. The idea that God brings everybody into our life for a reason. And that he often uses these people to communicate to us. Maybe in big ways, but maybe in just small details. Is it possible that God brought two guys together in friendship so that one of them could be a catalyst in getting the other into missions work outside of the country? It's mind-boggling, but I believe it. It's certainly possible to believe that you're a part of someone's life for reasons you may not yet know. Or possibly ever know. I know of people who have come into my life and have left as quickly as they came. And they'll never know what I learned from them.

Did ya ever stop to think why God has you working at the place you're currently employed? I don't know myself, but let me share something. I was complaining a while back to some people about how one of my co-workers comes in and is always sharing what's wrong in their life and the latest disaster to occur. And it has occurred to me that I shouldn't be complaining. But that I should be rejoicing in the opportunity that I have to show them love. So now I'm not trying to hurry them out of my office so that I can back to work. I'm giving them the time to vent.

At lunch yesterday, I was served by a woman named Sherry. She may have been the best waitress I've had this year. She was very kind and provided excellent service. At the end of my meal, I told her exactly that. And she shook my hand. To my knowledge, I've never had any waitstaff offer to shake my hand. But she did. I don't know why I was sat at her table, but I made the most of that opportunity.

So what do you think? The people in your life, are they there for a reason? Have you ever thought about why they're there?

1 Comments:

On 31.10.06, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

I love this post and it is so true. We are so bound by our own limited perspectives due to hectic schedules or whatever. Thanks for sharing that story too.

Thanks for the book tip. I'm going to pick up that book on my way home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home