10.10.2006

A Nurturing Environment

Over the past day or so, I've been thinking about my work-life. I've been actively pursuing another full-time job, but haven't found anything yet. I've also been mulling the possibility of looking for work outside of the booming tri-county area. And I've been thinking about looking for work with organizations that may offer a more nurturing work environment. Specifically, I've been thinking about Christian organizations and non-profits (like education).

So let me talk about this "nuturing environment" concept I'm floating. I'm looking for a place where management works side-by-side with lower-level employees. I'm looking for a place that's interested in me as a person, and not as a number. A place that's willing to invest something in me. A place where I'm encouraged. I think I thrive in that kind of environment. And that's why I'm considering it.

Is it a pipe dream? Is it silly for me to want my workplace to be "nurturing?" Do you work in a place like this? If so, are there any openings?

4 Comments:

On 11.10.06, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

Is it about us or about God? Hmm...

 
On 12.10.06, Blogger stephen declared...

Nice. Answering my questions with a question.

A nurturing environment is what I want. My current placement is not nurturing. I am fully aware that God has me in my current position for a reason. What that is, I don't even pretend to know.

But I think that based upon what I know about myself, I would thrive in a different environment. And I like to think that God might allow that to happen if he wants me there. I don't assume anything, but I like to think.

 
On 12.10.06, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

My friend, such a place does exist. I've discussed with you how much i love my job - thats something i didn't used to say, but here I have what you describe... Sr. Mgmt comes alongside new staff, we work as a team, we are friends as well as coworkers. Sure, there are areas for improvement, there always will be, but this effort and attitude means a lot to our staff level folks. The executive leadership team recognizes that it makes our firm different from others, and won't let it get away...

trust me, when we have needs in your field, i'll let you know! In the near future, i hope you find that somewhere... Lots of places like that in Colorado Springs, home base of more ministry-related organizations that i can count, but i don't want ya to leave...

- "the accountant"

PS - i was rooting for the white tarp to beat the raindrops in Fenway. i think i eventually won...

 
On 12.10.06, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

I agree that a nurturing enviroment is good. My question didn't necessarily come from what you were talking about, but how. As I was reading your middle paragraph, I noticed that 'I' or 'me' occurred a lot. I do the same thing many times. But yet maybe our blogs are about us. Maybe even our lives are about us.

Thinking about these things led me to the question of 'Should they be?' And that is what I posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home