6.11.2005

What's that smell?

Ah, the beach. Once again the clan has packed anything and everything and made the short-term migration down to Bethany Beach. You can see some pics from day one in the photo blog.

There’s something about the beach. Driving down Route One towards the Atlantic, you get that first whiff of that salty ocean air. And you know…..you’re back. When I was a young lad, one of the highlights of my summer was going down to the beach to stay with my grandparents and cousins for a week. My grandparents would rent the same house every year and there were certain rituals that would occur each year. Miniature golf was a given, as were some amusment rides in the neighboring towns. Now given all my good memories and fond feelings, you would think that I liked the ocean.

You’d be wrong. Not a big fan of the salt-water. Not a big fan of the sand either. But I love the atmosphere at the beach. Everybody is laid back. The speed limit in town is like 25 mph so no one can be in a hurry to get anywhere. And the city folks who are in a hurry, get ticketed. Get up when you want to (or when your nieces decide to wake you) and do what you want to, just make sure you lock the door behind you and don’t forget the sunscreen.

I’m not sure what I should do next. Should I read a book? Take another walk? Take a drive somewhere? Who knows. I have plenty of time..

People who have my back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home