8.16.2005

Rachel Ray's in Cleveland tonight.

So I’ve been reading this book by Yancey and I’ve been getting some good thinking material out of it. Here’s the latest..

Ever notice how we live in a “star-oriented” culture? What do I mean by “star-oriented?” By that, I mean that we live in a culture where we put an emphasis on the popular stars of the entertainment and sports. We’re all into the lives of Jen and Ben, Angelina and Brad, Britney and Kevin, Jessica and Nick. Kobe, Barry, David and Terrell. These are the people we look up to. The people we idolize. The people we want to be like.

So why don’t we look to emulate Jimmy Carter or Mother Theresa? Why aren’t we a “server-oriented” culture? Well for one, I don’t think it really appeals to people. What’s in it for me? That’s the root of a lot of the world’s actions. People are not interested in serving others. They’re interested in serving themselves.

Now I haven’t really shared anything new or ground-breaking, and I didn’t expect to. But I do want you to imagine what a world this would be if there were more of us who were “server-oriented” and fewer of us who were “star-oriented.” Hmmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home