8.07.2005

What's in a word?

So this fellow at our church wrote a song called “Marks of Christ.” There’s a couple lines in the song that caught my eye.

Pierce my ear, Precious Master
The token of my life.

That word “token” jarred my brain. So I took a peek in the dictionary. In the New Oxford Dictionary, the definition of token is “sign, symbol, evidence.” Read those lines again, like this:

Pierce my ear, Precious Master,
The symbol of my life.

Here’s what I got to thinking. We’ve got to live our lives as symbols of Christ. People are not able to see Jesus Christ in a literal, physical sense. How can they know what they cannot see? Yes, to an extent faith plays a part. However, people need physical evidence. That’s where we come in. We are the physical manifestation of Christ.

Now how messed up is that? Christ is willing to let us, puny error-prone humans be his representatives. That kinda blows my mind a bit. We have a huge responsibility to be standards and representatives of Christ. Oftentimes, we fall short, and that’s discouraging. But we can pick ourselves up, and try again. And that's what we gotta do.

And I wanted to tell you that I experienced one of my favorite weather moments today. That time just before a storm arrives when the accompanying cold front starts to blow in and you just know it's going to rain? You know what I'm talkin' about. The temperature drops several degrees and the wind starts whippin' up. Oh yea. God, flexin' his muscles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home