12.10.2005

Movie Review - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardobe

So I went to see the movie of the year. As you may have read, I was a little concerned about how the book would translate to the big screen.

Here's the bottom line (in the middle): It's a good movie that honors the themes of the book. As a devout reader of the books, I noticed what was added and what was omitted. However, speaking in a general sense, the movie did what it needed to.

For those who haven't heard, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe opened this past weekend. As a big CS Lewis fan, I was very much looking forward to this movie. But I was concerned as well. I think anybody would be concerned if one of their favorite stories was being made into a movie. But as I said, the movie was good. I thought they did a brilliant job casting the Pevensie children, especially Georgie Hensley, who played Lucy. I thought she was great. I also liked Professor Kirke. I felt that they did a good job on the CGI front with the beavers, Maugrim and his platoon, and the others. I enjoyed the scenery and I liked the way they built up the beginning of the story. The book opens with the children arriving at the Professor's house, but the movie did a nice unintrusive back-fill. That's all the things I liked (which I can recall). Now for what I didn't like (please note: I won't comment on inconsistencies with the book, just general dislikes).

I didn't like the White Witch's castle. That's it. Another day I may talk about the inconsistencies, but not today.

So if you haven't seen this movie, please go see it. If you've seen, call me and we'll see it again. I'm giving this movie a "9.5."

Here's a survey, which asks rather odd questions to assign you a character from the the movie. I don't know how, but hey, it's on the internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home