2.16.2006

Rock-step, Triple-step, Triple-step

Over the weekend, I learned how to swing dance. Perhaps I shouldn't say "how to." It might be better if I said "learned the fundamentals of swing dancing." That's probably more accurate. It was all the rage back in the 40's, and it's finally caught up with me. The evening was very different for me, in that with the exception of one of the instructors, I didn't know anyone at this dance. Me, being the quiet type, tried not to expect the worst. People had told me, "Dude, it's like forty year-old women." Uh-oh. And I don't thrive among strangers. Part of me wanted to do it, and another part of me was hoping that the dance would be cancelled because of snow.

The dance was not cancelled. And I went. And I stretched myself. (For those of you not familiar with the term, stretching yourself refers to reaching or stretching, outside of your comfort zone). I think I probably danced with seven different women. And I would do it again...with maybe four of them. The ones I would prefer not to dance with ever again were the ones who were quick to point out my timing issues and mis-steps. It's the gracious ones with whom I would dance again.

But I did learn some stuff and I think I did improve by the end of the night. I know I made progress. Not just with dancing, but also on a personal level. I'm now about ten times more risky then I used to be. Now before you get all complimentary, keep in mind that I didn't use to be risky at all. And I do get intimidated looking women in the eye while dancing. But I'm a work in progress. And the best is yet to come.

2 Comments:

On 16.2.06, Blogger matt declared...

Good job. You set a goal for last year and you are continuing with it. It shows that you want to accomplish more than just doing something once.

 
On 16.2.06, Blogger Nathan Hackman declared...

Congrats. I learned to swing (dance) in 8th grade and it is great fun. The Fiance and I are taking dance lessons for the wedding. It is a much better work out than I had imagined. It is also a great relationship building tool. It involves a lot of trust and cooperation. Anyway, keep at it. Maybe we'll all have to go dancing sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home