1.15.2007

Today was Dr. King's birthday

So my expat friend Matt, posted the entire text of Dr. King's most famous speech on his blog (see here). Didn't think too much of it and wasn't planning on posting anything about it.

I was watching the Golden Globes tonight. Things were going well until they started the Warren Beatty lovefest. That's when I had to find something else to watch. So I started flipping around. And I landed on PBS. They were showing a documentary called "Eyes on the Prize." And I was introduced to a boy named Emmett Till. The young Till was murdered in Mississippi in 1955 by a couple of white guys. It was a sad, yet fascinating story about the effects of racism and how screwed up the human race really is.

I got to see some archived footage of a 26 year-old pastor by the name of Martin Luther King, Jr. And it was really neat to watch him preach as a young pastor. And I was struck by his willingness to be bold and up-front with his beliefs. And the way he galvanized people with his non-violent ideas.

If you're interested in learning more about Emmett Till, check out this website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home