8.07.2007

Would you take a picture? Cause I won't remember.

If you know me, you know I like to take pictures. "Uh oh.  He brought his camera" is a paraphrase of the response I often get.   I take my camera to weekend getaways, parties, sporting events and other places.  And sometimes I will just go out and take pictures just for fun.  I don't have a fancy camera, but I do think I have a pretty good eye for photographic opportunities.
 
I'm talking photos today because I'm preparing to move.  And as part of the moving proces, I'm going through my stuff and I'm pitching stuff I don't need/use.  I'm tired of moving boxes that never get opened between moves, so I'm reducing the number of boxes.  Last night I found some photo envelopes that I had forgotten about.  I didn't know what they were photos of, but I was intrigued enough to sit down with the 10 or so envelopes of photos and go through them.  It was fascinating to look through those photos and remember where I've been.  Whether it was Chicago, Capistrano Beach, Orlando, Greensboro or Harrisburg.  Remembering the little stories and the details surrounding those photos.  Like getting stuck in traffic out in LA and missing a taping of "Frasier."  Or driving from Grantham to Orlando straight-through (only stopping to eat, use the bathroom and visit South of the Border).  We left around nine in the evening on a Saturday night and got into Orlando around noon on Sunday.  These were good times and I was blessed to experience them with good (or mostly-good) people.
 
And then I stop to think about how I've grown since those moments in time were captured.  Looking at these photos, I think of how my priorities have changed.  I knew I didn't brought my Bible along on these adventures.  Now, I don't travel without the scriptures.  If I don't bring my Bible, I will bring some index cards that I've written verses on.  I think of how concerned I was with what other people thought of me and how me-centered I was.  And I'm so thankful for the growth that I've experienced since then.  Photos are not only good for reminding you where you've been geographically, but they're also good at reminding you where you've been spiritually and mentally.   And that helps show me how much I've grown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home