10.09.2007

Three years ago today..

I boarded a big ol' plane and flew over to Munich (Meunchen), Germany.  There are lots of things that I remember from that trip. 
 
The fear of traveling to an unfamiliar country by myself.  Prior to the trip, that loomed large.  Compounded by the fact that I barely knew the language, I was concerned.   But all my anxiety was for naught.  Once I got my bearings, I was all right.  I had done a good bit of pre-planning (as you probably expected), so I came prepared.  And that helped. 
 
I was blessed with a hotel pretty close to the main train station that had an internet connection and a clerk who spoke a little English.  And a free breakfast buffet.  I got to see a few castles, an honest-to-goodness real maypole, the Hofbrahaus and a lot of the city.  I even got to see Jennifer Garner overdubbed in German in "30 uber nacht" at the cinema!
 
It was a great trip.  I hope I can make it back some time.  I think I'd like to do a WWII tour where I visit key cities (like Munich) and check out sites of historical significance.
 
You can re-read the entries from my trip here

1 Comments:

On 11.10.07, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

I was there for a weekend. Great city. We also took in the Hofbrahaus and let's see...we spent some time at the big clock thing downtown, the Birkenstock outlet and Dachau. (Not necessarily in order of importance there.)

Neither me nor my friend spoke a word of German. Plus we were in a pretty darn creepy hostel. Still, a great city. Your WWII city tour sounds like fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home