5.06.2008

Eating local

Three posts in two days!! What's goin' on here???

I wanted to take a second to highlight a pretty cool website. The name of the website is Local Harvest. What it is, is a listing of various local farmers who sell those goods to the general public through various means.

A friend and I used to have conversations about Wal-Mart and what it was doing to the local home-grown, mom and pop retail establishments. I found the Mart quite agreeable with my relatively thin wallet, and thus didn't really have any problem shopping there. And I still don't. However, what I buy there has changed. Right now, the Mart serves as a hardware/music/electronics/auto supply/cleaning supply store. And some dry foodstuffs that are priced the best. But for the meat in my diet, I've started looking to local folks. One of my favorite places to go is the West Shore Farmer's Market. There's a poultry counter there (I think it's called Leidy's) and they have a great chicken sausage with peppers and onions. One of the Weaver's has great turkey sausage. I enjoy being able to support the locals who make a good product. And because the majority of this stuff is fresh, there's not a lot of preservatives to worry about.

If you do nothing else today, follow the link and key in your zip code to see what options are available in your area. You don't have to patronize them (though it would be great if you did), just make yourself aware of their existence.

1 Comments:

On 27.5.08, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

You know, I used to work at Weavers at the West Shore Farmers Market. S Clyde's, not LD's.

Good place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home