4.15.2009

What I learned this Lenten season

I learned a few things this Lenten season which I'd like to share with you. All of these came as a result of me reading the Bible.

The first thing I noticed was how direct that Jesus was with his disciples. In reading through what He shared with His disciples at the Last Supper, he didn't mince words. Consider these words from Luke 21:
You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. All men will hate you because of me.
Note that he didn't say "You MAY be betrayed" or "All men MIGHT hate you." He uses the word "will," letting the disciples know straight-up that the road ahead for them will be painful. I found this incredibly insightful and I wondered paid much attention to that fact.

The other thing I learned was that a familiar miracle to me actually occurred between the resurrection and the ascension. I'm speaking of the miracle where the disciples are out fishing in the boat, and not catching anything. Jesus tells them to throw their nets on the right side of the boat. But they don't know it's Jesus. They do what He asks and are overwhelmed by the fish that they catch. Immediately, they realize who gave them the instruction and are overwhelmed with joy (for the full story, read John 21). I thought this miracle occurred much earlier in His ministry.

Did you learn anything this Lenten season?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home