10.23.2010

The one where I walk around and talk to Mormons


Tonight I find myself in Salt Lake City, Utah. Also known in some corners as the world headquarters for the Mormon (LDS) Church. In all, I figure I spent almost three hours in and around Temple Square. How could I spend three hours in Mormon Mecca? I talked to missionaries.

I arrived at the South visitors center and looked around at some exhibits regarding the building of the temple. They have some neat technological stuff to play around with as well as five foot high model of the temple. I wandered around towards the opposite entrance where I met Sister Hardy. I asked about tours. She said "sure we can give you a tour." I was expecting a tour group. What I got was a personalized tour with Sisters Johnson and Bateman showing me around the square. It was raining and so we took umbrellas out and started the tour. We visited a few different buildings having some good conversations about various topics of faith. We got to the end of the tour and they asked me if I wanted to fill out a card to have a missionary come and visit me. I'm pretty sure they would have "saved me" on the spot if I hadn't shared with them my skepticism.

I made it a point to love on these women. I sang them songs. Literally. I sang a song we used to do in worship adventure at West Shore about the fruits of the spirit, as well as an old southern gospel tune ("He lives! He lives! Christ Jesus lives today...."). We parted ways, but not before we got our picture taken and I gave them some candy. They allowed me to keep the umbrella with the assurance that I would drop it off at the visitors center on my way out. So we part ways and I wander out in the square with my "Temple Square" umbrella, taking photos. I get looks from other missionaries as I wander about with a tour guide umbrella, but no tour guide. I honestly believe that holding that umbrella allowed me to love on four other missionaries while I was there. It was fantastic!

I do have to admit that it's rather jolting to sing "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart. Where?" and have blank stares looking back at me. That really brought it home for me. These missionaries had never heard the songs that I was singing to them. And that made me a little sad. But also glad that I was able to share with them and give them something to hopefully think about. And I'm praying for them as well, and I told them as such.

My trip out here has been great. I hardly saw anything, but I got to love on people. And that was worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home