8.16.2004

Filming Bourne

When I reviewed The Bourne Supremacy, I mentioned that I didn't like a lot of the camera-work. I found an interview online today with the director, Paul Greengrass. See his thoughts below.


Q: The camera style, especially during the big car chase, made the film feel very fractured and sort of immediate.
A: Yeah, grittier. So you were sort of sitting on Bourne's shoulder, and when Bourne runs we run, and when Bourne jumps into the car we jump into the car. What I wanted to do was bring us closer to Bourne's core character. The interesting thing is that you know very little about him. In the first movie he discovers that he's killed for the CIA, and in this movie you follow him as he tries to grapple with what you can do once there's blood on your hands, which is frankly not very much.

"I wanted it to feel unprocessed and jagged"
But I wanted to have an emotional, physical immediacy. I like that about the Bourne films. There are lots of mainstream elements but you can put random things in that don't really go anywhere and made it unpredictable and interesting. I definitely wanted it to feel unprocessed and ragged and jagged.

Ragged and jagged, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home