2.14.2005

Only now am I getting my money's worth.

I paid too much money to go to Messiah College. And I could argue with you that it was a waste of my money. Or more succintly, that it was an experience that I shouldn't have had to pay so much for. However, I feel that after I've graduated, I've started pickin' up some of those lost dollars.

Some examples: I probably average a little over one racquetball match a week, for which I have to pay nothing. I work out in the fitness center using my choice of treadmill, stationary bike, or elliptical machine at least twice a week. Again, I pay nothing. I can check out library books, and surf the internet to my hearts desire. All free. And they even send me a little letter when my library books are overdue. And then there's the cultural aspect. I can catch free shows in the Student Union along with a nice size tv, cheap french fries, and foosball table. And I can check out movies on campus for only 100 pennies. Last weekend, they showed The Incredibles and this weekend it's Lemony Snicket. And for you intellectual types, free lectures. Tonight I went over to Messiah and I listened to a lecture by David Myers. Messiah grads will probably not care that Mr. Myers wrote the pych textbook that we used for Intro to Psychology. However, I enjoyed psych and almost minored in it. He spoke tonight on "The Scientific Pursuit of Happiness."

Speaking of tonight's lecture. I got a bone to pick with somebody. This lecture was also considered an alternate chapel. And there were people there sleeping, reading other books, and playing with their cell phones. It made me rather sad that students seem to devalue the Tuesday/Thursday common chapels. Why wake up and have community, when I can sleep in and sleep through an evening lecture, or talk about Bob Dylan and get chapel credit for it. Grrrr.

Of course you the conclusion to this problem is to have a place where the entire community can meet in chapel (thanks to the department of enrollment management's expanding waistline, I don't believe all the students can't meet in Brubaker). This of course means that we have to build yet another building. Perhaps a convocation center. Of course, this project will delay the building of another dorm, so students will stay overcrowded and tripled in dorms FOREVER!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home