2.11.2005

Gentleness

So our small group discussed the fruit of the Spirit known as gentleness last night. I concluded that gentleness is the grease in the cogs of the Christian life. Well, maybe that's not the best analogy. Perhaps what I'm trying to say is that gentleness is integral to all aspects of a Christian's life.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 15:1

How many times do we find ourselves giving less-than-gentle answers to family, friends, and others? As I was thinking through this this morning, I think at some times it's easier to be harsh, than to be gentle. Many people tend to lose any semblence of gentleness when they are tired and/or irritated. Having been on the giving end as well as the receiving end in this type of circumstance, I understand this well. Personally, I know I can be harsh in times of anger and frustration. And it hurts me, because I am usually quick to realize it (although sometimes it may take a tad longer) and then I become disappointed in my reactions.

Just in the past 24 hours, I have been on the receiving end of some less-than-gentle words. I can't do anything about that. However, dear reader, if you should hear something less-than-gentle come out of my mouth, please, please, please let me know. I would appreciate it and I promise not to tell you what you can do with your opinions or where you can stick it. = )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home