9.06.2005

Fun is being part of the family that's all heart.

I was listening to a sermon last week by Donald Miller, who you may know from “Blue Like Jazz” fame. And he made a comment which I don’t remember word for word, but which I’ll try to explain.

Ya know what happens if you start hanging around the same people for a while? You may start to pick up some of their mannerisms, begin to use phrases they do, or similar body-language. You also begin to get an idea of their likes and dislikes. And sometimes you may even adopt some of their likes and dislikes.

That’s how it’s got to be with me and Christ. The closer I am to Him, the more in tune I am to His heart. His likes. His dislikes. His ideas. If we’re not on the same page, then I’m not living like I should be. I need to catch his fire. In high school, one of my coach’s favorite sayings was “I want to know what flavor of gum he’s chewing.” I was not supposed to ask my opponent about his gum, rather I was supposed to maintain contact that was close enough to figure out what kinda gum he’s got.

I’ve gotten a whiff of the gum He’s chewing, but I can’t quite figure out what the flavor is. And I shouldn’t rest until I know for certain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home