9.03.2005

Where there's smoke, I'm thinkin'

Okay, you've probably already heard about what Kanye West said. I'm not even going to touch that.

There's been a lot of talk about how crappy the government's response is. I've been thinking about stuff. This may well be the largest natural disaster that the country has ever faced. I think there was a pretty bad earthquake out in Cali back in early early 1900's, but I'm not sure of all the facts there. Anywho. Our country has never seen something like this. As such, we had no clue as to how to plan for it. How can you ever imagine that whole cities would be destroyed? I don't think you could. So I think people deserve all the credit in the world for what they've been doing. There's always going to be critics. It's a sad fact of life. And I for one, will not criticize the government response.

I've also been thinking about the charges that the delayed response was because 67% of NOLA is black. I think that's crap. Please refer to the paragraph above about why the response has been what it's been. I know most people are not in the position to, but cut these people some slack. If the government was racist, why are we going to the trouble of getting people out of the city? We're not just pullin' out the white folks. We're pullin' out everybody we can get to. And that's all I have to say about that.

One more thing. This thought first caught my eye when it was posted as a comment to someone's post. Here it is. What if Katrina was a result of the wrath of God? Now it's hard for me to even fathom the depth of God's wrath. All I have is what was told of in the Old Testament. Now I don't think that anyone would argue with me that there was a quite a bit of sinnin' that occured in NOLA. I'm not even going to bring up the alchohol. But what about all that voodoo that is associated with NOLA? I don't even know that God would do something like this. I mean, I wouldn't put it past him, but does he still do stuff like this? I dunno. Thoughts?

1 Comments:

On 4.9.05, Blogger Nathan Hackman declared...

You're right on about the FEMA response. The critics on the cable news channels have demonstrated an incredible lack of knowledge when it comes to the massive logistics involved in the relief operation. FEMA handles disaster relief by region. The problem with Katrina was that the entire region was devastated. All of the infrastructure that would normally be used to help was in need of help itself. That meant that FEMA had to bring in help from outside areas, which it doesn't normally have to do. FEMA has 28 elite search and rescue teams stationed around the country that respond to emergencies in their own regions. By Wednesday morning every one of these teams was activated to respond to New Orleans. That didn't even happen on 9/11. On Friday morning an 8 mile long relief convoy rolled into New Orleans. 8 miles long, and FEMA organised it in less than five days!! That is pretty darn impressive in my book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home