11.14.2005

Surrender

How do you define surrender? Dictionary.com defines surrender as:
1. To relinquish possession or control of to another because of demand or compulsion.
2. To give up in favor of another.
3. To give up or give back (something that has been granted).
4. To give up or abandon.
5. To give over or resign (oneself) to something, as to an emotion.
As is often to happen with me, I've been thinking about the words to a particular hymn which prominently features that word. Surrender. What does it mean to me?

To me, to surrender is to give up. Every paycheck, I surrender tax money to the US government. If I volunteer to help someone/something, I'm surrendering my time to them. Which brings me to surrendering to God.

The act of surrender requires giving up. It's me, giving up MY life for HIS. Pushing aside my plans, dreams and ideas for His plans, dreams and ideas. Giving up the sinful pleasures of this earth, and focusing on the fruits of His Spirit. And ya know what? It's hard as all get out. It's difficult dropping stuff that isn't of Him. But in my pursuit of holiness, I have to shake off that crap. Regrettably, it will not be a once-and-done deal. My human-ness will continue to be a magnet to sin. But we are called to excellence. And I must continue to fight in my pursuit. Thankfully, I have a friend who's with me on this little adventure.

These are the words:

All to Jesus, I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

I surrender all, I surrender all,
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power;
Let Thy blessing fall on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home