12.25.2005

Joyeaux Noel!

I've been thinking about Christmas. Lots of things really. All Christmas-related.

I don't think that you realize how much you miss something until it's gone. In this particular instance, I'm referring to Christmas carols or hymns. I attended Christmas Eve service at a church other than my own. It was rather different. They sang songs differently and other songs were played differently. And when I say different, I should just say non-traditional. After the service I actually considered going to the second service at my church. But we didn't get out of the parking lot on time. Now I'm sure lots of folks at the church where I attended service really enjoyed that Christmas Eve service. I won't knock that. But, when I attended service this morning at my service, I really enjoyed it. And the organ was cranked this morning.

Then there's Christmas traditions. We all have them. On Christmas Eve we do this. Christmas morning, we do this, then that. These sorts of things are very important. So important, that I was talking with a friend this morning, she mentioned that in marriage counseling, their counselor suggested that they decide before getting married, with whose family they would be celebrating holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas with. And I wonder to myself, where will I compromise? I really don't want to give up any of my traditions. But I suppose that one of the key components in marriage is compromise. So I'll compromise.

And finally Christmas itself. I've heard Luke 2 read three times over the past 24 hours. And I have to admit, I don't think it ever gets old. Christ coming to earth, in not quite a blaze of glory, to save me. And you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home