5.22.2006

Movie Review - The Da Vinci Code

Went to go see this weekend's box office winner on Saturday night. As you can see from my prior post, there were people there to greet us. That picture was taken during the day when I bought my ticket. When we came back in the evening, there were about seven people there. And they had a big banner. And the person in my passenger seat told them in no uncertain terms what Jesus thought of them.

Caution: Spoilers Ahead!
Onto the movie. Let me just say this. I shouldn't have read the book first. I have become aware of an issue I have with books that are turned into movies. I read the book, remember all the minutia of the book, and then expect the movie to live up to and accurately portray the book on screen. The DVC didn't do that for me.

Tom Hanks plays a semi-believable college professor/author. But I think they could have done a better job casting the role of Robert Langdon. Like how about Dustin Hoffman? I'd believe he was an intellectual before Hanks. French actress Audrey Tautou plays the role of Sophie Neveau. She does a decent job in her role. I though that Jean Reno did an excellent job as Inspector Bezu Fache. I wasn't too sure about Magneto playing the role of Sir Leigh Teabing, but I think he did a pretty good job. I could definitely see him as someone who had spent his life searching for the holy grail.

The movie itself was okay. It kind of plodded along while jumping around. It seemed to be uneven in that it jumped between fast action and slow dialogue (like the scene in the park). I really liked the work they put into the flashbacks that they used when discussing church history. It was obvious that they sunk some serious money into those scenes. That was good. They also had the benefit of the film being set in Europe.

I think I'm going to give this movie a 7. It could have been much better, but that would have make it LOTR-long. And people may not have liked that. It's redeeming values are the flashbacks and the fact that Hans Zimmer did the musical score. So now you know.

PS This is my 777th post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home