7.05.2006

Movie Review - Superman Returns

The Man of Steel is back. Last night, I went to see Superman Returns. I have to say that initially I wasn't too hot on seeing this movie. Then I saw a trailer with Lex Luthor in it. And I was hooked.

In a nutshell, Superman has been out of the scene for the past five years. He returns and tries to reunite with Lois Lane. Unfortunately, as a result of Supes absence, Luthor has been released on parole. And he's still a bad seed and up to no-good. Which is good, because it gives Superman something to do.

I liked Brandon Routh as Superman. He kind of appears to be more naturally aloof then Christopher Reeves. Kate Bosworth plays Lois Lane pretty well. Or maybe it's that she plays a lover scorned well. Hmmmm.... In my opinion, Kevin Spacey shines as Lex Luthor. You can't replace Gene Hackman, but he was a baddie for an earlier generation. Spacey oozes both sarcasm and evil.

I really enjoyed this movie. I'm giving it a 9.5. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is a technical issue. I should also mention that I saw the movie in an IMAX theater which showed several scenes in 3D. That was really neat. The technical issue had to do with the transition from 2D to 3D. But I would definitely recommend seeing this movie.

2 Comments:

On 5.7.06, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

Yeah, I did not want to see this either, but I too really liked it. Besides the very slow opening, it was pretty awesome. Brandon Routh was a question mark in my mind, but like you I think he was perfect for the role and Spacey...gotta love that guy. I guess I expected the cast to turn out like Hayden Christensen, who ruined Star Wars for me, but this wasn't the case.

Two thumbs up.

 
On 5.7.06, Blogger matt declared...

$12.50 for a movie? WOW!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home