12.30.2006

But what does it mean to you?

I was thinking tonight about the above topic. I happened to be hanging out at the reindeer pen and I was observing people coming and going, taking pictures of the reindeer, asking questions and just being people. But what was interesting was watching how certain people reacted to the reindeer. Some people would just pretty much walk in and walk out. Others would walk in and hang around for a few minutes, watching the reindeer, and then leave. But others, and these were adults mind you, would hang around for ten or fifteen minutes watching the reindeer, asking questions and taking pictures.

I didn't think much of the reindeer, but there were some adults who couldn't get enough of the reindeer. Taking pictures of their name plaques, pictures of the reindeer laying down, standing up, eating, etc.... And I was wondering what was it that attracted these people to the reindeer? Something in their childhood? Some family significance?

And then I transfered that feeling into other areas of life. People don't understand why I love going to Disney World. Maybe if people knew that I had grown up with the Disney characters and knew that my parents had taken me to the park as a child and that I had traveled there for my senior trip in high school and then again in college. Disney holds a special place in my memories. And even with all that background, people may still not understand. And then I have to think about what other people hold dear, and how important that is to them. And how important it is for me not to ridicule or make light of what they hold in high regard.

And that's what I've been thinking. Among other things...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home