7.24.2007

Would you still love me...

If I told you that I liked synchronized swimming?
 
It's true.  I do.  I was recently watching a documentary on PBS about synchro and it followed a male swimmer.  It was very interesting to watch because I had never seen a guy doing synchro.  And I was suprised to see that he participated in group, duet and solo competitions.  So I wanted to blog about this documentary and then it occurred to me that people may want to know why in the world I was watching a doc on synchro anyways.  So I thought I'd might as well just spill the beans.
 
Why do I like it?  Besides the obvious fact that it's 99.7% of the participants are women?  I like it because I think it's similar to dancing.  But you're in a pool.  And you're often upside-down.  But there's lots of creativity that goes into the routines and it seems that it takes a lot of practice to get everybody in sync.  And I can appreciate that.
 
Feel free to use the comments section to express your disgust and/or your favorite swimmers.

3 Comments:

On 24.7.07, Blogger matt declared...

It is a good thing that I am leaving for Germany soon because I don't know if I can really stand being around you now.

 
On 24.7.07, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

How does one do solo synchronized swimming? Doesn't that sort of contradict the idea of being synchronized?

And did you ever see the SNL sketch about the (gay) male synchronized swimmers? Very funny. In a sort of, non-PC way. But I picture your PBS documentary as one long SNL sketch.

 
On 25.7.07, Blogger stephen declared...

Being synchronized with other people, yes. But their movements are still synchronized to the music. Most people don't realize that the music is piped in underwater as well.

Didn't see the SNL sketch, but I can only guess that it involved Chris Kattan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home