11.28.2007

Content vs. Discontent

I was listening to a sermon this morning, and the pastor made an interesting observation.  He said that we are often discontented with what we should be contented, and contented with that which we should be discontented.
 
How true is that?  We often become discontent with our lot in life.  Whether it's our job, our social status or our income level.  "If only..." are the words we use to quantify what it would take for us to be content.  When we should be content with the what God has already blessed us with. 
 
And then there's the other side of it.  How is it that we are content with our relationship with God?  Where do we get off saying that our church attendance and our daily prayers are good enough for the Creator of the Universe?   "I don't have to strive to live a holy life, I'm okay just as I am."
 
I know that it's not always easy to be content.  Speaking as someone who is only "mostly" content, I know what it's like to want more.  But what's interesting is where you find the balance.  I was reading a devo by Billy Graham last night and he talked about having patience, but at the same time being expectant.  Expecting that God will provide when He sees fit.
 
Something I think we all struggle with is God's timing.  I know that a bunch of single folks read this blog.  We all think it would be nice to have someone to romance, or someone to romance us.  But it hasn't happened yet.  And that often causes frustration/sadness/disappointment.  Because we weren't meant to be alone.  Yet we are, and that can lead to discontentment.
 
I think the key to being content is to be satisfied with where you are now, but at the same time expecting that God will provide you with what you need, when He knows you need it.  And being okay with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home