8.25.2008

What's a fanatic?

I'm currently not-quite-glued to the opening evening of the Democratic
Convention. I've been lured here by the promise of the senior
Kennedy.

What is it that makes grown adults act like teenage girls at a Jonas
Brothers concert? I feel like I may have discussed this before, but I
think it's worth mentioning again, especially in the light of a
presidental election. What is it that evokes the passion in people to
scream and dance and wave their arms about? For a mere mortal?

I'll be the first to admit that I've been caught up in a frenzy
before. I was a big fan of DC Talk back in the day. Some of my
behavior during their shows was probably questionable. It's very easy
to see how we can make idols out of some of our favorite things. What
is it that we devote our resources to? Where do we spend our time?
Where do we spend our money? And more importantly, how do we avoid
falling into this trap?

It's very easy to get caught up in the madness, but it all comes down
to this: We have to guard our hearts. We have to be vigilant about
who/what is the focus of our attention. If it's not Godly, we need to
recalibrate. It's not always easy and we'll fail more than once. But
we need to keep striving. Because we know what's right and we know
the truth.

PS I love C-Span for political coverage. I'm watching Jerry Kellman
(who?) talk on C-Span, while all the other cable networks are
re-hashing Sen. Kennedy's speech and prepping for Mrs. Obama's speech.
And C-Span doesn't have anybody to offer any commentary of any sort.
And I find that perfectly wonderful.

PPS Sen. Harkin (IA) has mad ASL skills!

1 Comments:

On 26.8.08, Blogger matt declared...

You would have liked the way that Eurosport covered the olympics. Just sports all day. maybe a recap show but just sports. No million stories to go with it. It was neat to experience the Olympics in another country.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home