1.27.2009

I went to a hymn sing

On Sunday night, I went to a hymn sing at church. It was my first
hymn sing. I had been wanting to check out a hymn sing for a while
now. And since it was occuring right in my own sanctuary, I thought I
should go.

It was two hours of hymn-goodness. We opened with a prayer and a
pre-determined hymn. And then it was a free-for-all. People would
raise their hands and call out a number. This number corresponded to
the page number in the hymnal. The organist and the pianist
determined who would play it, and then we sang the hymn. We sang at
least two verses of each hymn. Sometimes we stood and sometimes we
sat. Sometimes the leader shared some background on a hymn or shared
a story that was relevant to the hymn.

I would say there were maybe 150 people in attendance and I'm happy to
report that I was not the youngest one in the crowd. The two hours
went by really quickly and there's already talk of another sing
sometime soon.

And that's the abbreviated story of my first hymn sing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home