1.13.2005

From my devotional

My Faith Commitment

What is the quality of my faith commitment? Is there movement and development? Is it alive and growing? Faith is a real personal relationship with Jesus of Nazareth. Like any human love affair, it can never be static, exhausted, terminal, settled. When Scripture, Eucharist, and ministry become routine, they are moribund. When the Father's love is taken for granted, we paint him into a corner and rob him of the opportunity to love us in new and suprising ways. Then faith begins to shrivel and shrink. When I become so spiritually sophisticated that "Abba" is old hat, then the Father has been had, Jesus has been tamed, the Spirit has been domesticated, and the Pentecostal fire has been extinguished. Evangelical faith is the antithesis of cozy, comfortable piety. Faith means you want growing intimacy with Jesus Christ. Cost what it may, you want to want nothing else. The moment I conclude that I can now cope with the awesome love of God, I am dead. I could more easily contain the Gulf of Mexico in a shot glass, than I can comprehend the wild, uncontainable love of God.

If our faith is going to be criticized, let it be for the right reasons. Not because we are too emotional but because we are not emotional enough. Not because our passions are so powerful but because they are so puny. Not because we are too affectionate, but because we lack a deep, passionate, undivided love or the person of Jesus Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home