3.01.2005

Unveiled FAces

So I'm re-reading this book by John Ortberg (which astute readers will know that I mentioned in previous entries). Talks about communities, it does. And the chapter I just finished up was titled Unveiled Faces: Authenticy. It talks about how common it is for human beans to hide their true selves behind a mask. But hiding behind the masks means that we end up holding part of ourselves back and that hinders authentic, or real community. So you end up hanging out with people, but little do you know that one person is frustrated with you because of something you said, and another person is inwardly disappointed because you didn't invite them to a certain event. And here's where the problem lies.

When we keep our masks on, we don't let anyone know what's going on. If I'm ticked at somebody because of something they did, they aren't going to know it unless I tell them. And I need to tell them. Cuz here's what happens if I don't: it eats me up. I don't think it's a stretch to say that it affects my entire life. I end up dwelling on it and it affects my communication with that person. And the opposite holds true. If someone has done something to hurt me, I need to let that person know that. Cuz if that person doesn't know what they did, they may continue to do it, and it's my fault because I didn't tell them.

So, here's what I've done. I've contracted some truth-tellers to help me out. These truth-tellers are there to let me know if I've done something wrong. And the most important part? I have to be open and willing to hear and accept what they have to say.

I'll leave y'all with a quote from the book:
You can only be loved to the extent that you are known. You can only be completely loved if you are completely known.
-John Ortberg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home