2.23.2005

Yesterday in History

On this day in 1861, President-elect Abraham Lincoln arrived in Washington. But what I found interesting was that yesterday in 1861, Lincoln was in Harrisburg, and actually spent the night at a hotel in the city. That's kinda neat to think about, that Abraham Lincoln was in my neck of the woods. Read more here.

Yesterday I posted a link (which has now been removed) to a certain someone's phone contacts. Well, I thought it would be fun to try and call Lindsay Lohan. I got her voice mail, and it was obscene. I tried calling Luke Wilson this morning, but his number has been disconnected.

I've been doing some reading lately and I wanted to share a great quote with you from my favorite German theolgian Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I've been reading about true community and how important it is for members of true community to be willing to approach each other and speak truth to them.
One who because of sensitivity and vanity regects the serious words of another Christian cannot speak the truth in humility to others. Such a person is afraid of being rejected and feeling hurt by another's words. Sensitive, irritable people will always become flatterers, and very soon they will come to despise and slander other Christians in their community.... When another Christian falls into obvious sin, an admonition is imperative, because God's word demands it. The practice of discipline in the community of faith begins with friends who are close to one other. Words of admonition and reproach must be risked.

I think that last italicized part is what freezes us in our tracks. We don't want to be uncomfortable and risk rocking the boat. And above all else, we don't want to get hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home