7.01.2005

Whew!

The end of the week is finally here. This has been one of the longest weeks for me in recent memory. Between moving out of my old place and music practice this week, I have been running like Mary Decker-Slaney (kudos to anyone who recognizes her). And finally things are slowing down a bit.

Tomorrow Sir Robert Beldolf has set up a little show called Live 8. Here’s what I’m trying to grasp. I only figured out a few days ago that this wasn’t a fund-raising event for Africa. It’s a political-activism event. They don’t want money from private citizens, they want funding from heads of state. For those who don’t know, the “8” in the Live 8 title is a reference to the G-8 Summit which starts on Sunday. So basically, we’re having a concert to try to rile people up. But the question is, do people care? I bet some people do, but I don’t know that it’s the folks that will show up for these shows. For the most part, I think people concerned with Africa’s plight are already involved. I said “for the most part.” Some folks will be finding out about Africa for the first time at these shows. And that’s a good thing. But I don’t know that this medium is going to the best for Africa. And I feel fairly certain that it’s not the best we can do.

What I would love to see is Conservative Republican Toby Keith play right before Liberal Democrat Dave Mathews. Oh to be a fly on that stage…

I was going to go to NYC for the fourth. But for a variety of reasons, I’m going to. But I do want to go back. So much so, that I’ve penciled in a date on my calendar. August 20th. You’re invited, but you have to like boats. I can’t say why, but I don’t think you would be disappointed.

I also wanted to announce that I’m gambling for the next seven days. My car inspection was due at the end of June. My appointment to get my inspection is not until Thursday. I could have gotten my inspection done early, but the guy I have doing the inspection is a Christian guy and I wanted to give him my business. The only problem was that they didn’t have any openings until Thursday. So I’m hoping that I can avoid some fineage and stay clear of the cops for the next few days. I could have gotten my inspection done at Zimmermans’s. They’re Christians too, but they were going to charge $25.00 more to do the inspection. No thank you.

And I get to eat at Red Robin AND Cracker Barrel this weekend! Woo-Freakin-Hoo!!

1 Comments:

On 2.7.05, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

Didn't M D-S crash and burn somewhere near the final turn or something? Hopefully this didn't happen to you.

Dave Matthews said, "If George Bush says Africa's debt is cancelled, and if he says assistance will be doubled, I'll kiss his feet if he gives me the opportunity. I will bow down in front of him in gratitude because that would be one of the greatest achievements in the history of the world." (Foxnews.com) Now *that* would be interesting!!

What's in NY on August 20?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home