11.21.2005

Did you know?

That Frito-Lay changed the Tostitos recipe earlier this year? It's true. Here's how I know.

Friday evening I bought some Tostitos chips and some Tostitos Salsa con Queso. You see, I had a coupon where, if I bought one package of chips and one jar of dip, I would save one dollar. So I went and I saved. Upon tearing open the bag later that evening, I was slightly dismayed to notice that many of the chips had these nasty air bubbles in them, causing the chip to have a reduced crunch value. Seriously, when you bite into one, it's a lot closer to communion wafer consistency than ideal tortilla chip consistency. This bothered me enough that I decided to make a phone call to Texas. Why Texas? Well, that's where Frito-Lay is based. As I was explaining to the customer service lady about my disappointment in the fact that many of the chips were defective, she told me that in fact, that was the way they were supposed to be. Apparently there was some verbage on the Tostitos packaging earlier this year heralding this new recipe/consistency. Did anyone else miss that? I know that I did.

The lady was very nice and explained what happened and offered me some other product options (including a line (organic yellow corn Tostitos) whose nearest availability was in Williamsport). As a last gasp, I asked her if they had changed the recipe on the "Tostitos with a hint of lime." She said no. So it appears that I will be moving away from the traditional Tostitos line and looking for other alternatives. After, I use the coupons that she's sending me. Of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home