12.28.2005

The Family Tree


This is our family tree. It has been the tree that we have used for probably the past 10-15 years. Before that, we had one other tree. So we've owned two Christmas trees in the 30 years I've been alive.

As you may guess, our tree is artificial. I know that many people abhor artificial trees. But I'm sure just as many people abhor using live trees. They both have their pros and cons. The artificial tree, you choose only once. There is no bark, sap, or needles to worry about. Conversely, you don't get to pick it out every year and you don't have the fresh Christmas tree smell. The real tree, you choose every year. You can get a different style tree every year (short, fat, tall, etc..) if you choose. It has the smell. But you have to water it. And sometimes, it dies. But then you can use it for firewood.

I personally like our artificial tree. I like knowing that the tree is going to pretty much be the same every year. That it requires no maintenance. It's dependable. It's familiar. Perhaps if I grew up in a fresh tree tradition, I would miss the December ritual of picking out an "ideal" tree. But I didn't. And I'm sure that those who pick out live trees would probably gag at having to pick out an artificial tree.

All that to say, I really wish that I wouldn't have cut off the top of the Christmas tree in that photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home