12.01.2005

Movie Review - Pride and Prejudice

Over my long weekend, I had the opportunity to take in the latest Kiera Knightly vehicle, Pride and Prejudice. I have never read the book and I had never seen any of the other prior film and/or television versions. However, the story conjures up strong emotions in my small group. Both from pro-Pride people and anti-Pride people. And while I was blissfully ignorant of what they were speaking of, I was intrigued. Because the anti-Pride seem to have really strong feelings on the subject. So I went to the movies.

It was a good movie. I knew enough beforehand, to know that it was a love story. And to be honest, I was expecting something of a syrupy, sweet nature. But I was mistaken. It was a smart and witty love story. For those who were in the dark like me, the story revolves around the Bennett family, their five daughters (I think there were five), and the efforts put forth to marry them all off. Brenda Blethyn, who played the role of the matriarch, Mrs. Bennett, was very amusing. She really played up the "woe is me, my five daughters are a burden to me, they need good men" notion. There are three other folks who I think merit mentioning. The first is Rosamund Pike, who played the role of Jane Bennett. She was probably my favorite daughter. She was very down-to-earth, but she really seemed to enjoy life. And Mr. Bingly. Simon Woods played Mr. Bingly. I liked him because I think he reminds me of me (whether any of you find that true is a debate for another day). And then there's Kiera, who plays Elizabeth Bennett. She did a good job, but I don't think she shined. She actually seemed to be the equal of the other actors and actresses.

Like I said, I thought it was a good movie, but not a great movie. I'm thinking I'll give it an "8."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home