1.10.2006

On one hand....

Every once in a while, we're presented with unique situations. Friday morning, I was presented with one such situation. Actually, I was presented an opportunity, which birthed a situation.

I have been offered a promotion with my company. It's not so much a promotion as it is a big huge leap up the corporate ladder. I have been asked to consider a management position. Now when I was a young whipper-snapper just out of college, I thought that I wanted to be a manager. But as I gained experience, I realized that I didn't want to be a manager. I had no interest in being an overseer. I just wanted to do work. And I didn't want to be responsible for other people's work. Who wants that? However, there are a couple of things I need to keep in mind. First thing is that this position would give me a lot of good experience. I would learn new stuff that could help me in my future career(s). And second, it would increase my salary roughly 60%.

BUT, this position would require me moving to another office, roughly 200 miles south of my current location. A location where I have no contacts. No friends, no family, no church, no roots. That prospect is rather daunting. I've never moved for a job before. Even when I moved after I graduated from college, I had a local support structure in place. If you know me, you know I am a rather quiet person and I'm not a social butterfly. So I don't know that I would be actively trying to make new friends and acquaintances.

That's what my human nature is thinking. But maybe God wants me to go. Maybe He's got something planned for me down there that I'm not aware of yet. This is where a degree in "Knowing God's Will" comes in handy. Unfortunately, I don't have my degree yet. But I am familiar with the course load. So I'm gonna pray. And I'm going to recruit a bunch of people to pray with me. If I haven't asked you yet, consider this your invitation. I informed my superiors that I would have an answer to them by early next week. And so I shall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home