5.29.2007

And where do you see yourself in ten years?

This is a question that I have been asked twice in the past month in different job interviews. I always have to laugh. I tell my interviewer "This isn't going to sound very good, but I don't know where I'll be in ten years." And if my high school guidance counselor knew that I was saying that, she'd probably be a bit mad.

Sorry Mrs. Reider. It's true. I don't have any long-term goals. I used to, when I was younger. When I graduated college, I decided that in ten years I would be working in human resources for The Walt Disney Company. Well, this is year number ten and I haven't reached that goal yet. I just don't have tangible goals like that anymore.

Does that make me the guy who doesn't know what he wants to do with his life? The guy that has no direction? I don't think so. I know what I want to do with my life. I want to serve God. I don't know what he wants me to be doing in ten years, and I don't pretend to know either. But I know better than to try to plot out my future.

So I don't know where I see myself in ten years. But I'm perfectly okay with that.

1 Comments:

On 30.5.07, Blogger Proteinstar declared...

After 3 kids and 3 different occupations and reaching age 30 I've finally decided that it certainly is not me calling the shots around here. I might know where I want to be but that has almost zero bearing on whether or not I get there. For me it's enjoy life and pay the bills.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home