5.12.2007

Movie Review: Year of the Dog

Saw YotD earlier today. I was going to go see it with my aunt, but she couldn't make it. I'm glad because I would have felt bad for suggesting this movie. The trailer was pretty misleading. There are spoilers ahead.

Have you seen the trailer? Looks like a charming little rom-com, no? That's what I thought. John C. Reilly chasing Molly Shannon, who's actually interested in Peter Saarsgard. And it had dogs in it. Everything's going well until Shannon's character (Peggy) finds out that Saarsgard's character (Newt) is vegan. And it's all downhill from there. She goes vegan and then goes PETA vegan. The first part of the movie showed Peggy as the strong rock among a sea of friends with all sorts of dysfunctional behavior. By the end of the movie, she's the dysfunctional one.

Molly Shannon did a good job in her role. I really believed that she was off her rocker. Reilly and Saarsgard played their supporting roles decently. And I thought the movie was well-done.

But I didn't like it. I'm going to give it a "4" on the 10-point scale. It's redeeming qualities were two-fold: 1. It gave me a good glimpse into what people experience when they lose a pet who's loved, and 2. It showed me how easy it is to allow things of this world to get in the way of our Kingdom responsibilities. And I really liked Pencil (the dog).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home