5.05.2007

Movie Review: Spider-man 3

So it's been a while since I've been to a movie worth reviewing. And it's been a while since I've even been to the movies. But I saw S3 tonight and I'm here with your review.

SPOILERS AHEAD

S3 continues the on-again-off-again relationship of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson. Things are getting a bit more serious and Peter seems to have the notion that MJ is "the one." But this is Spider-man we're talking about, so we need some baddies. The addition of Sandman and Venom are the baddies, along with "son of Green Goblin."

Tobey MacGuire continues to do an A+ job as Peter Parker/Spidey. However, once he starts rockin' the black suit, he goes all emo. Seriously. He starts combing his bangs forward and seems to add a little eye-liner. And he acts very un-Peter Parker (doing stuff that was reminiscent of Jim Carrey in "The Mask"). That was a little weird. But what are ya gonna do? Venom will do that to you? I still don't much care for Kirsten Dunst, but I thought that this film was the best of the three for her. James Franco was eh, but I thought that Thomas Haden Church did a good job as Sandman. Good enough that I felt empathy for him. Topher Grace did a good job of bringing the Venom character alive, but I liked Church more. Critics said that there were too many bad guys in this movie, and while I think you can make that arguement, I think the storyline held it up pretty well.

And here's what suprised me the most: The recurring theme in this movie of forgiveness. It was something that almost all of the characters seem to touch on throughout the course of the movie. And it may have just been me, but I think that Venom is a dead-ringer for the devil. But that's a topic for another day.

I'm giving this movie a "7." It was good, but could have been better. Some of the camera-work during the action-scenes was dizzying. It was hard to follow at some points. I was also a little disappointed at how the movie ended. And it was a tad on the long side (long enough to make me start thinking about my review during the movie). But it's a fun superhero movie that I would see again (but probably not until it makes it to the West Shore Theatre - which will probably be sometime next month).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home