5.21.2007

How Long?

So I was reading a Max Lucado devotional at my chiropractor's office today. And it was talking about one of David's most favoritest questions to ask God. If you've done any reading in the Psalms, you know what the question is.
How long, O Lord?
And from there he starts his whine. But I don't wanna talk about whining today. I want to talk about that question, and in particular, a question that Lucado brings up.

What if next time you asked "How Long?" He actually offered to tell you. Would you want to know? Would you want to know how long it would be before you got married? Before your friend received salvation? Before the darkness would fade? Would you really want to know? And if you did know, what would you do with that knowledge?

I don't think I want to know. Because then, I wouldn't have to lean on Him so much. It sounds like a very sunday-schoolish answer. But I have a lot to be thankful for, for the situation I am in. Sometimes I play the "what if" game. What if I had gotten married right out of college? Would the relationship that I have with my parents be the same? Would I have had the opportunities that I've had with my friends? Or what if I had attended a different college? Who would be my friends today? I play the "what if" game, then I realize how futile it is. It doesn't matter. You can't dwell on "what ifs." God has blessed me in the situation that I'm in right now. Would I be interested in a trade? No. I don't think so. Because I wouldn't be the man that I am today.

So I will continue to ask "How Long?" But I don't want to know. Because I think it's in that waiting room, when we're praying and seeking and waiting, that we grow most rapidly.

Thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home