6.21.2007

Thoughts from Brother Lawrence

Over the past month or so, I've been reading a book entitled The Practice of the Presence of God , by Brother Lawrence.  For those of you unfamiliar with Brother Lawrence, here's a link.  I would recommend this book.  It's amazing that it was written by a French cook over 300 years ago, yet it is extremely relevant.

There are all sorts of little nuggets that I pulled from this book.  I'd just like to share a short passage with you from one of his letters.

 "We cannot avoid the dangers and perils with which life abounds without the actual and unceasing help of God; let us ask His help continually.  How can we ask for His help unless we are with Him?  How can we be with Him except by thinking of Him often?  How can we think of Him often except by forming a holy habit of doing so?  You will tell me that I am always saying the same thing to you.  It's true.  I do not know of an easier or more appropriate method; and as I practice no other, I recommend it to everybody.  We must know before we can love; to know God we must often think of  Him; and when we come to love Him we shall also think of Him very often, for our heart is where our treasure is!  Let us ponder this often and deeply."  - The Practice of the Presence of God, pp.79-80

Now don't read more into his words than what's there.  While I have read deeper thoughts from educated theologians, his thoughts seem to come from a child-like faith.  And by that, I mean that the thoughts are rather simple, but they are profound.  Brother Lawrence talks a lot about being centered and focused on God.  He doesn't get bogged down with "stuff."  He's all about getting as much of God as he can.

I've found his words to be inspiring and motivating.  If this topic is of interest to you, I'd recommend you read it.  It's an easy read (and it will be in my church library as soon as I return it on Sunday).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home