6.16.2007

Tis the Season!!

Wedding season that is.  This weekend starts the wedding season for me.  I will be attending three weddings in the next four months.  I don't think I've attended three weddings in the past three years.

**The first paragraph was written Friday night, while the second paragraph was written Saturday evening.**

The wedding taking place this weekend is one of my good lady friends from college.  We became acquainted through her roommate and became good friends.  If you can keep a secret, she was actually on the short list.  And this weekend she is getting married to a fine young man who I know nothing about.  I was thinking about this particular wedding and thinking about how I hadn't seen any of the people who would be attending in at least two years (my friend included).  And I got to thinking about how awkward it might be.  I know our mutual friends and acquaintances, but I can count them on one hand.  And I got to thinking about what sorts of expectations I had.  And honestly, I didn't come up with a lot.  It was around this point that I realized that I wasn't attending this wedding for myself.  I was attending because I love my friend and I want to support her in this new adventure she is undertaking.  She thought enough of me to invite me and I will be there. I don't really care about what interactions I have with everybody else.  It's not about me.  It's about her and her man and their new life together.  

*********

And now the wedding is history and I can talk about how it all went down.  The proceedings went well.  I arrived right as the service was starting (after the mothers had lit their candles, but before the processional) and scooted my way into the back row.  Y'all know how tardiness is one of my pet peeves so this was unlike me.  But I missed the exit by maybe three miles.  Add beach traffic and I was L-A-T-E.  The service itself was simple and elegant.  We shifted to the reception site for the celebratory.  I am very grateful for the table I was put at.  Initially, it was awkward, until one of the people mentioned above (who I can count on one hand) sat down next to me.  That made all the difference.  There was dancing and food and a blue velvet cake.  And two neat things occurred that I must mention.  Number one, the bride sang to her husband.  I thought that was awesome.  She sang "Bless the Broken Road" by Selah.  The other neat thing was when some of her relatives sang a traditional Polish song and bestowed upon the bride and the groom tradtional polish gifts.  That was pretty cool.  I'm glad that I went and that I was able to be a part of their day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home