7.06.2007

Movie Review - Transformers

So I've seen three movies this week, but I decided to review the one movie which would have the most general interest.  So Transformers it is.
 
If you're looking for a fun action movie this month, this movie would be a good pick.  Especially if you're a male and actually had some Transformers when you were younger.  I myself had a few whose names I can't recall (but by describing them to my roommate he was actually able to tell me their names.  He impresses me.).  Onto the movie.  Shia LeBouf plays Sam Whitwikki (sp) the main human character in the movie.  He does a suprisingly decent job in stepping out on his own in a mainstream film (he starred in "The Battle of Shaker Heights" but how many of you saw that?).  He has some nice comedic timing, but it remains to be seen whether he will be able to carry films by himself (he next plays second fiddle to Harrison Ford in Indy 4).  Josh Dumahl (sp), Jon Voight and John Turturro are the other big names in the film.  They were minor, and Voight didn't even look like he belonged.  But enough about people, let's talk machines. 
 
The graphics in this movie were stellar.  (Spoiler ahead) That decepticon that attacked the base survivors in the desert was pretty cool.  They did a great job in general with all the machines.  AND they gave them personality.  There's this rather amusing scene in the backyard where the autobots are trying to hide from Sam's parents.  And then there's the little fact that the autobots have learned the english language based off of what they've picked up from our media.  That's fun.  The battle scenes were pretty captivating, though at times it was hard to tell who was autobot and who was decepticon.  I think they tried to make the autobots brighter by their paint schemes, but when they transformed, Bumblebee and Prime were the only ones who were obvious to me.
 
There were a handful of cheesy moments in the movie, but thanks to Michael Bay, the action was heated enough that the cheese didn't weigh the movie down.  This movie clocks in at almost 150 minutes, but it doesn't feel like it.  I'm giving it a "9."  I'll see it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home