7.12.2007

What's in a word?

I may have talked about this before, so if it sounds familiar, I guess it is.  I'm sure that we're all aware of words.  You are certainly aware that I jest misspelled the word "just."  Or maybe I just misused it.  So how do we decide to use the words we use?  For me it's feelings vs. interpretation.
 
I know that around certain people, I have to choose my words carefully.  It's not because they're sensitive (although I know you are).  Rather, it's because of the fact that they really pay attention to the words that people speak and if you don't speak precisely what you mean, you will know it.  Because you will have to do a follow-up.  And I don't like having to correct myself.
 
So why am I writing about this now?  Well, I was shooting a note to a friend earlier in the day and I used a word that encapsulated my feelings (for the record, the word was "proud").  That was the word that came immediately to my mind.  But then I stopped to think about it.  I considered using the word "impressed" instead, but while that word may have more accurately conveyed my feelings, I wasn't impressed.  I know what you're thinking.  If you weren't impressed, then how would using that word accurately convey your feelings?  Well, it's not me so much as it is my reader.  I don't want them to be confused (proud?  what are you, my dad?), but at the same time, using a more commonly-used word may not quite express my feelings.  So I did use the word "proud."  Because I was.  If you're a friend and ya done good, I'm proud.  Or perhaps I'll say "nicely done" or "nice work."  
 
But if you buy a Chelsea shirt, it won't be nicely done, and I won't be proud or impressed.  But I'll still love you as a friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home