10.10.2008

Financial Portfolios

I don't really have one. I have a 401(k), but it's relatively small.

I've been watching what's been going on for the past few weeks and I've found myself most drawn to the images associated with the news of the current financial situation. It's the people with their hands on their heads, or their heads on their desk, or the shock written all over their faces. And then I wonder what's going through their heads.

It can certainly be jarring when you consider the implications of our current situation. However, I'm not so concerned. Are you? More than ever, I am confident and I have a peace about the current financial picture. Maybe it's because I'm rather insulated because of my lack of investments (real estate or otherwise). Or more likely, that I have the peace that passes all understanding. If I told you "It's only money," how would you react? Would you get indignant because I don't know what I'm talking about? Or would you agree with me?

Consider the words of one Jesus of Nazareth:

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin (Matt. 6.27-28)

Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. (Luke 12.22-23)

How do you reconcile your current feelings about this situation to these words?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home