11.08.2008

The one where I go to the opera

Tonight I went to the opera. There is a local opera company called Center Stage Opera. They put on a performance of La Boheme.

Having never been to an opera before, I only knew that all the dialogue was sung. What I didn't know that it would all be sung in Italian. That was new and different. However, they summarized each act in English before the act began, so you at least had some idea what was going on. I was also suprised to see the vocalists being accompanied by a 17-piece orchestra. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was definitely not that.

I thought the performance was great. True, I really didn't understand a word they said, but the vocalists definitely knew how to sing and they did a great job acting. And I thought the orchestra did a top-notch job on musical end of things.

So I think I'd consider going again. I'd be much more interested if they sung in English. Do they have English Opera? Or is that called a musical? Anywho, there weren't a lot of people in attendance, which is unfortunate, but hopefully the word will get out. Keep an eye on their schedule for next year and see if there's anything that you'd be interested in.

Labels:

1 Comments:

On 13.11.08, Anonymous Anonymous declared...

I went to an opera once at the Whitaker Center. It had subtitles, which was interesting. Kind of like an overhead projector above the stage, but it was helpful. Unfortunately they butchered the storyline of the opera, so it was not good. But the singing and acting were good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home