6.25.2004

Flight #94 to Krakozhia has been delayed...

Hi. I saw The Terminal tonight. Here are my thoughts.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Here's the premise: Viktor Navorski arrives one day at JFK. While he was in-flight, the government of his country (Krakozhia), was overthrown, and in turn, the United States refused to acknowledge the country as an official country. So Viktor gets stuck...for something like nine months. And as you may well know, he spends those nine months inside the international terminal at JFK. During his time, Viktor befriends several airport employees, freelances as a building contractor, and even meets a purty flight attendant. And he also plays the unwilling foil to security's attempt to get him out of the airport (and thus into somebody else's jurisdiction).

I enjoyed this movie. For the record, I should say that I like Tom Hanks. He's a good guy and a good actor. And I think he did a good job in this film. Catherine Zeta-Jones ably filled the role of the love-starved female lead. I also enjoyed the supporting cast. I recognized several of them, but I don't know their names. I think that one of the things that makes this movie work is that most people think of an airport as just one step in the transit process. And to make an airport somebody's home, just blows away people's conventional notions of what an airport is. And from a personal standpoint, I think I might have enjoyed it a little more just because of all the time I spend in airports when traveling.

And as you may well expect, I found symbolism in this movie. We only learn why Viktor was headed to New York in the last 45 minutes of the movie. And the reason blew me away. To think that he would go to such great lengths for his father was awesome. And my mind wandered (as it often does). Jesus came to earth to die for our sins. For you and for me. He came all the way from heaven to earth. That would be one long flight. But he did it because he loved us, with a love even greater than Viktor had for his father. You could even play off the Viktor/Jesus analogy further, but I'll let you decide that for yourself. I gave it a 9.5 on the 10-point scale (and that's a preliminary rating).

And on a totally different note, did the voice of the Hamburger Helper Glove change?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home