6.25.2004

This just in...

Some stuff that I picked up today that I have to comment about:

#1 I found on IMDB. Here is the story:
Pop hunk Justin Timberlake has come to the rescue of troubled ex-love Britney Spears' career - by offering to write songs for her. The Cry Me A River singer, who is now dating Hollywood star Cameron Diaz, has offered to help Britney's flagging career after watching her suffer the heartbreak of having to cancel her tour. And now Britney - who is recovering from an injured knee - is hoping her collaborations with Timberlake will keep fans happy as she waits to reschedule her Onyx Hotel tour. A source says, "Justin is there for Britney at the moment because she has had a really tough time. "She is obviously upset about having to cancel her tour. Even though her songs are doing OK, she is worried about how letting her fans down will affect her future." An insider close to Justin adds, "Justin feels bad for her and he in a position at the moment to help. "They fell out badly when they first split up, but now they both have new partners, they have been able to rekindle a friendship."

Stephen's comments: How nice that Ms. Spears wants to keep her fans happy. Nice to know that she lives for the happiness of her fans. Although now that I think about it, perhaps we all do that on some level. We can't all have fans, but we have people that we want to please. Cause when they're happy with us, we're happy with us. Hmmmmm.


#2 is a quote that I pulled out of an article by Phoebe Flowers of the "South Florida Sun-Sentinal." In it, she interviews Michael Stipe regarding the faith-based movie he co-produced, "Saved!" Here ya go:
"I think that where we are right now, the 21st century...is going to prove a difficult testing ground for organized religion and for people of faith. A lot of the ideas that are still being held onto - I call them 'hangovers' - seem to be mid-century or even earlier. [They are] 19th-century, 20th-century ideas that are almost anachronistic in 2004. And so, if organized religion and people of faith want to continue into the 21st century, I think they kind of have to live in the times that we're living. You have to understand that the holy scripture is a very important part of my life, and my upbringing, and that culture that I came up through - but it's allegory."

Stephen's comments: I had to look up the work anachronistic. Websters says it means "Erroneous in date" and Princeton says it means "chronologically misplaced." So it might just be me, but I think he thinks that "organized religion and people of faith" are out-dated. And I don't think you can say that the entire Bible is allegory.
I don't think so.

Review of "The Terminal" coming this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home